Saturday, March 26, 2011

Thoughts and Frustrations

My mind has been whirling lately. I have so many thoughts about what is going on in this world and how to react as someone who loves and desires to follow Jesus with my being. I have been very frustrated with Christians and how there are so many things that are happening that don't seem glorifying to God and I don't understand why people do some things. So, please...these are just thoughts, ponderings, and frustrations. I am in no way a bible scholar or claim to have all the answers...but have convictions and challenges, and need to get them out.

The first thing is how frustrated I have been over the whole Rob Bell thing and his new book. It is just crazy to me the amount of media and bashings that have gone on because of a book, that a man who I hope and would say loves Jesus, writes about how in the end LOVE WINS. I am not going to get into the specifics, but I have been amazed at how many people are condemning Rob Bell and terming him an "universalist," and so on. My frustration is that WHO ARE WE??? as Christians to judge a man's heart or even beliefs. I fully believe that we, as humans, have many roles on earth, but judging others is NOT one of them.

Romans 14:10-13a says:

"You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgement seat. It is written; 'As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' So then, each of us will give an account to God. Therefore LET US STOP PASSING JUDGEMENT ON ONE ANOTHER."

When it comes down to it....there really isn't any possible way for us to know a person's heart...that role is specifically for God, and we shouldn't try to take it from Him.  I think that we can have hope and faith that those who say they love Jesus truly do, and yes, we see fruit (good things) from those who follow Jesus, but we cannot say for fact that someone is or is not a Christian, or especially say that they are for sure going to heaven or for sure going to hell.

Now...here's my thought: Yes, we have hope and that is a good hope from Christ: which is where our hope is found. But...judgement and condemnation is for God alone. And...this brings me to the sad fact that there are people who condemn others or say that they can't be Christians because they think differently than them.

How about this: homosexuality. Who are we to judge someone. I don't think that we are to accept every action in the world...but I do think that we are called to love those who are in this world with us. God has created EVERYONE...not just your friends or people who think like you do. God put time and effort into each life, and even though choices are made by different people, I truly do not think that it is our place to put labels or  categorize people into who is going to heaven or who is going to hell. Yes, I believe that there is a heaven and a hell and my hope is that there will be more going to heaven, but again..who am I or who are we to say who is going where. And...I don't believe that God wants anyone to go to hell either.

"He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9)

So many verses about how love is the ultimate goal in this life, but here's one:

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8)

So, instead of all of this energy fighting with each other about whose going where, let's take the gift of life that we have been given and love those who God calls us to love, especially those who are hardest to love. And, please, let's stop passing judgement on others: it is not our role. It's good to check our hearts and see where our true motives are.

There are so many things that we need to follow Jesus' example by: and loving is one of the greatest and can be most difficult. As Christians in America, I feel we need to challenge ourselves to be more like Jesus. How about this: I like President Obama. uh oh...some would say now I am not a Christian. That to me is sad. I do not like everything he does, but there is a lot that I do like about him. I LOVE that he supports the less fortunate. Those who have not had a an easy life. We need to look beyond ourselves and challenge ourselves to learn what it means to love like Jesus, because I do believe in the end...LOVE  WINS.

No comments:

Post a Comment