Saturday, September 1, 2012

One of my Favorite People in the World!

There are a few women who I think of in my life who I think of as 'mentors' or women whom I respect deeply and look up to and am so thankful for their influence in my life. Some of these women include my Aunt Patrice, Aunt Kathy, Brenda McElroy, Yvonne Downs and my mother in law. These women have been ones whom I have confided in, cried to, sought advice, watched, admired and hoped that I can be somewhat like them one day. I had my Aunt Patrice here with us for the past week and I kept thinking about how much she has influenced my life and how thankful I am for her. I have always admired her from when I was a little girl. She was a teacher when she married my Uncle (and I was the flower girl at 5 years old). I always wished that she could be my teacher and that I wanted to be a teacher like her one day. I remember going to her house for Halloween and making homemade caramel apples. I remember her pretty house and warm smile. She always made me feel special and loved. And...my Uncle Randy was always my favorite uncle on my mom's side of the family. I loved spending time with them. When we moved to California, she had 3 little kids and we got disconnected for a while. It wasn't until I was in college when we reconnected. I don't remember exactly how, but we started talking again and then my brothers and I went to Arizona to spend Thanksgiving with them and the rest of our family. I loved again being out there...now watching her being a mom to 3 kids from grade school to high school. She loves Jesus so much and everything about her radiates His love. We would sit out on her porch and and talk for hours. She is so easy to talk to and it always felt like we can talk all day and not run out of things to talk about. One of the things that I most admire about her is her servants' heart. She loves to serve! She has been a stay at home mom since she has had kids, and has done a beautiful job raising and serving her family. She came to visit me when Ryan  was just two months old to meet him and just be with us. She was also one who was so wanting and willing to help me with Ryan when Jason went to China for 3 weeks. I was working from home full time and her and her son Andrew were wonderful with Ryan while I worked. She then just came out to help me with both kids while we moved to Dinuba. She flew out to San Diego and drove with me and the kids to Dinuba. She is so sweet with them, so of course they took to her so quickly. She then helped in any and every way that she could while she was here. She watched the kids while we unpacked, took them on walks, was there for me when I had a bit of an emotional break down, and helped me organize the house. There were so many times when I was thankful for her just being there. It was like she was my peace amongst the transitional storm. I loved being able to just be with her for those few days; soaking in her talks, and especially loving watching her with my kids. She was so great to just sit and play and it reminded me to continue to just 'be'. So many days I get caught up in my to-do list, and I want to be better and just sitting and playing and not worrying about what needs to be done. She is such a model of a loving, encouraging, kind person, and I can hope that I will one day emulate those qualities like she does. Here are some pictures of her time with us here. I am so thankful for her and for those women who invest in me and also my children. What a gift.

As soon as she got there, she had some sweet gifts for the kids and played with them while we packed. 

read so many books! 

beautiful!

Ally thought she was her mom for the week...ha!

girl talk

love her! So thankful for her in my life :) 

Some other fun memories with my Aunt Patrice: 

When she came to visit me when Ryan was 2 months old: 



This is when Ryan and I went to Arizona to visit the family when he was 8 months. :) 



This is one of my favorite memories: going to a cute little tea place for lunch. :)


Love you Aunt Patrice! Thank you for loving me and encouraging me through life. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment